The question I get asked often is what cameras I use, so I wanted to break down my gear list in this post! My recommendation would be to slowly purchase as you need. You definitely don't need all of this gear. I had my beginning gear for a long time until I purchased my other equipment.
I'll be releasing more details about each product in future posts soon :)
Here is the gear that I started out with when I first started photography. Above is a photo from my very first photo session practicing on my suite mate in college!
- Canon T2i Rebel Camera Body Only No Kit Lens: This is a really old model. I think now they're on T6i. My photo mentor Nadine from Sachiko Studio lent me this camera
- Canon 60D Camera Body Only No Kit Lens: This was the first camera I bought. I loved that the controls were easier to use on this than the T2i
- Canon 50mm 1.8: This is one of the cheapest lenses to invest in. Another cheap one to go with the 60D or Rebel series would be the Canon 24mm 2.8 lens. I bought this for my sister when she started photography
- Tamron 28-75mm 2.8: This was gifted to me by Nadine
- Canon 28mm 1.8: This was the first expensive lens I bought.
These are the cameras I use for my portrait sessions. I started out using the gear I bought in the beginning, and slowly saved up to buy the following gear. (PS if you want to see more from the above session, click here)
- Canon 6D Camera: I upgraded from the 60D to this camera. I then upgraded to the...
- Canon 5D Mark iii Camera: I upgraded to this camera when I started shooting weddings, but still bring the 6D for backup.
- Canon 50mm 1.4: I upgraded to this lens from the 50mm 1.8
- Canon 85mm 1.8 or Canon 100mm 2.8 L series: I tend to bring either of these to my portrait sessions
- Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L series: This was my really expensive investment because I love the colors and look of this lens. Before I had this wide angle, I used the 28mm 1.8 a lot.
This is all the gear that I bring with me to weddings! I use all of these at different parts of the day.
- Canon 5D Mark iii: primary
- Canon 6D: backup
Lenses (from most to least used)
- Canon 50mm 1.4
- Canon 16-35mm 2.8 L series
- Canon 70-200 2.8 L series
- Canon 85mm 1.8
- Canon 100mm 2.8 L series
- Canon 28mm 1.8
- Tamron 28-75mm 2.8
- 2 Canon 600 EX Speedlite
- 1 Youngnuo 600 Speedlite
- Bestek Camera Bag
- Pelican 1510 Case
- Sandisk & Lexar 16 and 32 GB memory cards
This is the gear I travel with. For a more detailed explanation of my travel gear, see 4 Tips For Taking Vacation Photos HERE.
- Canon SL1 Camera Body: It works with all my professional lenses!
- Canon 28mm 1.8 Lens: This is the lens that I use with the SL1. A cheaper alternative would be the Canon 24mm 2.8. Note: this is a prime lens that doesn't zoom
- Canon G9X: The brown and silver compact camera. I zoom using this camera
- Samsung S6: My phone
If you haven't gotten it already, check out my 3 Tips to Taking Light & Airy Photos on ANY Camera guide below :)